Friday, June 7, 2013

Koyasan 1.1


In the early morning there are prayers by the monks that we are invited to watch and participate minorly. The chanting cymbals and bowl ringing was trace like. At one point during the chanting we were able come up to an alter bow and put paunch of good smelling stuff on the a burning ember. After the prayers we could walk around the alter and bow to the icons. I have video of this which I will also have to add later. 

We the walked over to the fire ceremony. On the first day I just watched but on the second I partook, but more on that later. After the fire ceremony breakfast and then an all day hike in the woods.
Koyasan was a monetary for men. So woman wishing to pay homage could hike a path that ha seven points from which they could view the important buildings. Its also compared
To a lotus flower encircling the mountains. It's called the Nyonindō Woman Path. 
Toucan see the spire on top on one of the pagodas here.
There was aside path to one of the ruins of a shelter for the women. 
I got curious and went looking for it. It was in total about a 2 hour diversion. I saw no one. It was serene. I just kept practicing the "ah" sound and breathing. Until I came upon this.....
I went down and the trail continued and I heard water. Curiosity..... I found beauty
On either side of the bridge which sway a tad when I walked on it ( a little unsettling)
This seemed like an unbelievably perfect spot for some ashes.
And then a butterfly danced in front of me, so I said, "hi mom". 
On the last leg of this all day hike I spotted a statue with its back to the trail in a small stream. Curiosity again thought this time only 5 minutes.
I mean who is this guy? And why does he have two fangs one up one down? And how come such beautiful flowers are growing at his feet?
Needless to say I as exhausted, so my evening consisted of too much dinner and a short stroll for digestion and sound sleep. The morning awaited prayers for mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment