Friday, June 7, 2013

Nara

Some people when traveling hire private guides to get them places on time, with historical information, and translates. Sort of makes things flow easier. I met a French couple leaving Koyasan on the train with one of these guides. I asked if I could follow them to Nara, which made my navigation a lot easier. I could just sit back and follow them instead of having to pay sharp attention. I'm terrified to get lost, but I've been doing pretty well so far. :) anyway I bid them goodbye at the Nara train station put my backpack in a coin locker an headed over to the tourist info office. There a lovely old man who spoke great english gave me a map, circled things I should see, and told me how to get there. These tourist info sites have been very helpful.
So while waiting for the bus, the woman sitting next to me suddenly asked if I was a tourist. She spoke good english as well. I told her I was and the purpose of my journey. She teared up. Apparently her sister died the month before, so she was felling particularly sensitive. I wish I ha been on point and that my bus hasn't just arrived because I would have liked to have given her a mom marble as I think she would have brought her solace. Hmmmm I will send her loving thoughts instead.
Nara Park is full of tame dead that you can fed and pet.
I also have funny video of feeding the deer. They are wild and will nibble at your clothes, and eat your papers, and if you have any food they want some.
The Nandaimon Gate is the entrance to to Todaiji Temple area.
The temple itself has a pre-entrance.
On either side inside this entrance art some formidable figures.
The temple was awe inspiring.

Inside is Japan's largest Buddha. It's made of bronze with two golden figures on either side and a warrior in the rear. I hope you can get the scale and grandure of this place.
I also took a brief look at Kasuga Taisha Shrine. It was nice just to walk through the park and eat some green tea ice cream too.
On to Kurashiki a suburb of Okayama, where on the train I learned some manners and that they even have a web site sanctioned by Japan on proper manners. Haha we need this in the US.





No comments:

Post a Comment