Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Still Kyoto

Well I spent 3 nights in Kyoto and there was still more to see. But here's what I did on my last day there.
I woke up extra early and trundled up the hill back to Kiyomizudera Temple to right this bowl without 12 million school children about on a field trip.
You bowl and pray and then bonk the bowl. It resonates for a long time an was really beautiful.
I then walked over and saw this cool painting of a dragon. Sorry I forget its importance but it looks cool.
Back down to my hostel for breakfast which was amazing! Everyone that goes to Kyoto should stay at this hostel.
Myorning was spent at Ryoanji Temple. Famous for its dry garden.
Images of the garden. 
On the way to the garden I came upon this Buddha. It was on a side path and people didn't even notice me standing there. So I leapt up and poured some of moms ashes in its lap. Prayed,cried, and went to the Temple.
Inside the Temple there was various pieces of ink wash drawings. I especially liked this one and I know my mom would have too.
Despite the hordes or children this was beautiful and serene. 15 rocks expertly placed. I think it has all to to with the spacing.
Around the back of the temple there was a special hand washing station, Tsukubai.  It had an inscription on it that said "I learn only to be contented". Meaning, he who learns to be contented is spiritually rich, while the one who does not learn to be contented is spiritually poor even if he is materially wealthy. This concept is important in the Zen spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment