Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Miyajima

Miyajima is a small Island off the mainland from Hiroshima. A short tram and ferry ride away. 
Upon approaching the island you see one of the things it is most famous for the O-tori Gate.
Ir is in front of the Itsukushima Shrine. Where I happened to catch a little Noh theater performance.
A dancer
And music, which I must takes a bit getting use to the atonal sounds.
After the performance I was able to take a picture of the Gate mid tide.
It is made of camphor wood and holds itself up in the muck. Because of weather it needs to be replaced every 10 years or so.
And behind me was this really fierce dog.
This particular shrine has been used for fashion shows because of its long walkways.
So I preceded on a walking path that took me up to Mt Misen Observatory 535 m above sea level. I didn't see a single person until I got close to the top. A Japanese man headed down the trail. He seemed a bit surprised to see me I think. I forgot to mention that you could take a rope way (gondola) up and down the mountain, which I imagine is what most people do. There are 3 paths up. I took the easiest (though it was no flat ground walk in the park), but the longest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment