Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Miyajima Hike

It was on this hike that I fully realizes that I was doing and seeing things that mom would not have, but knew she would have loved.
The hike started along a stream.
The area hired a landscape and water run off architect. I forget what year but there was a hurricane and loads of water run off that buried a small important village on the island. To prevent this in the future they hired this Japanese architect. Apparently many architects from other countries have come a praised its design. A key element is that its man made structure and purpose are disguised by intelligent design to look natural.
Along this hike there were three main spectacles before the top. One was Fuji rock, which was a pyramid shape and huge that you walked right into hard to miss. The second was Windhole Rock. A crack in the rock from which air conditioned frigid air poured out. It felt amazing, much appreciated by that point. And then Iwaya Daishi Cave. The cave was a short side path off the main.
Low ceilinged but I was able to stand upright in the center. 
In the far back corner there was light from another small opening and a central shrine. There were several others along the side wall.
This seemed like a good spot for a marble for the next intrepid hiker to find.
She is up front and center. It is only likely that the flashlight bearing will find her. But sometimes to see the very special things you really have to be truly seeing.
As I was approaching the top I notices an unmarked side trail  that went up to what seemed a good view spot.
I was right. It was actually better than the marked high spot at which I did no even bother taking a picture after seeing this.
If you look in the center you can see a small red dot.
Let me get a little closer for you.
A long way from the ferry now! Breath-taking.
Upon approaching the Observatory you had to pass through this scary porthole.
On the hike down I came upon people but the things that really spoke to me was this bell that greeted me once off the trail and re-entering the town. Mom had little bells. This one seemed to be chiming her tune. I have bought very little but this is coming home with me. 
The town had tourist stores and this 5 storied pagoda, which is one of 5 in Japan.
Returning to the Itsukushima Shrine the ride was out.
I walked out a placed some of moms ashes in the incoming tide right in front of the Gate.
As the tide was coming in she will be washed under the Gate, toward the Shrine, and out into the ocean. 
And this island had many friendly can I eat your food deer as well. Notice I am standing on the bench.
Until next time, beautiful island.






No comments:

Post a Comment