Sunday, June 16, 2013

Meiji Jingu temple and grounds

Another one of the major sacred sites of Japan.  The main purpose is to revere Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken for their admirable virtues. They guided Japan into what is called the Meiji Period where Japan came out of isolation and took on western ways. The Emperor and Empress made sure that much of Japanese culture was maintained while the absorption of western culture was taken in. 
The grounds consisted of beautiful gardens am a shrine.
An entry
A resting spot.
Too bad a photo can't trap a smell.
Awesome door
Twisting trees
And lots of turtles that I think are particularly cool. I had a small amount of mom's ashes left. I tossed them in to live in the scared spot with the turtles. She belongs.

I came to Japan to honor my mom. And I think I did a pretty good job. She deserved it and so much more. Mostly this trip has reminded me of the courageous way she lived the last year of her life with great courage and acceptance and enjoying every moment she had left on this earth.
Enjoy today I know I will.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderfull journey! (found your blog through a post of Eva Kengen, the belgium women, friend of mine, you met....)
    fany

    ReplyDelete