Thursday, June 6, 2013

Koyasan

So the ryokan (traditional Japanese accommodation) I chose was Ekoin. It is not only a place where people stay, but a Buddhist temple with real monks. As it turns out this particular group specializes in praying for ancestors. That was a happy accident. I didn't realize that when I chose it. I chose it because they had a fire ceremony and that sounded neat and they had  group meditation.
The place and my room was amazing.
The meditation happened at 430pm. We gathers in the main meditation room. And we wee guides by a monk in the Ajikan style of meditation: about their particular style, how to sit, what not to think of, and breathing.
"A" is the first universal sound of all human being of any nationality. So the first level of this meditation process is to try to connect the "ah" sound and and nature. The monks do it in the woods. We did it in this blue carpeted room with a poster of the sandscrit "a". My legs as well as a few other went to sleep rather quickly. But it was a short meditation. I chatted a bit with a fellow from Mexico City right after who agreed to join me to explore the Okunoin cemetery, which was quite large. Dinner is served to each person in their room. I couldn't believe how much food I got. I didn't know how I was going to eat it all. Traditional vegetarian monk food (with the exception of fish in the soup broths apparently). All very delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment