Sunday, June 9, 2013

Kurashiki and Okayama

There are no hostels in Okayama so I stayed in a quaint little town called Kurashiki. After I got off the train I took a short bus ride and then had to walk 10 minutes up a hill to the hostel. The road smelled like honeysuckle, so sweet. As I approached I heard a band. As it turned out the husband of the couple that owns the place was having band practice. They were probably in their late 50's. A 5 piece band all men except for the woman key boardist. They were either sitting or standing but fairly unanimated. Really quite funny since they were playing 60's California beach music which I completely recognized. So funny! They were good too. 
I have a video, but that will have to be posted later.
As it turned out that night I was the only one in the hostel, so I got a room to myself.
The next day I had a lovely breakfast at the hostel and took the train into Okayama to goto Korakuen garden. It is one of the three most beautiful gardens in Japan. Completed in 1700 it includes several tea houses. It started out as private and became public in 1884. I has retained much of its original design thanks to paintings. 
The first thing I encountered to my surprise were cranes.
I have a fantastic video of them calling out. Again to be posted later.
The gardens were really beautiful. I have been taking all sorts of notes because I wish to redesign my backyard and incorporate many Japanese aesthetics.
The camo pattern on this tree was great.
I loved the shadows of these palms.
Loads of irises!
And then there was this amazing koi pond.
They were huge, some of them.
And you could feed them.
So I did. Some of moms ashes. Now she's sleeping with the fishes.
And did I mention the looming castle.....

No comments:

Post a Comment